linuxcaffe; distros and desktops

Austin aacton-B71PBEe7S7Y at public.gmane.org
Thu Oct 28 15:31:25 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-10-28 at 11:16 -0400, Adam Raymond wrote:
> Why don't you set it up as some kind of leveling system. Start with a
> distro that is closest to windows. Make the users try that out, when
> they are confident enough, get them to move on to a more "linux type"
> distro. If some users have already tried that distro, but would like
> to try another one, then you have it all set up, and they can free
> ride over to level 2. etc..

Quite the opposite.  As someone said earlier, it should be transparent
to the user what distro they are using.  The distro should be the one
that the sysadmin finds fast and easy to maintain.  The fact that there
are 20 or so good distros to choose from is an excellent thing NOT to
tell people right away.

Regarding desktop environemnt, it's a good chance to make people aware
of the different choices available, but also important not to confuse
them.  Gnome 2.8 is quite simple to use (miles better that 2.4 or
2.6)... very intuitive for a Windows or Mac user, without the myriads of
choices/options/buttons of KDE or the Unix oddities of WM or Blackbox.
Plus, you can easily make Metacity act like the OSX window manager at
the user's request.

The new gnoppix live CD is using gnome 2.8 if anyone wants to try it
out, and for low bandwidthers, I have copies.

Austin