teac fc-1 scsi floppy on linux ?

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Thu Oct 28 03:50:24 UTC 2004

On Wed, Oct 27, 2004 at 05:53:35PM -0400, Peter L. Peres wrote:
> I was given a fc-1 and I'm trying to see if it works under linux (2.4
> series kernels, aha2940uw scsi card, internal bus, automatic termination).
>
> It is detected correcty as removable disk scsi but read and write leads to
> errors. write causes 03/31/00 (during format with the aha bios utility),
> and read yields 0E/14/00 (syslog dusing read attempt with dd). The error
> codes above are given as sense key/code/qualifier .
>
> Does anyone run such a drive under linux or *bsd, and if so, with what
> adapter and adapter settings. Also were there problems setting it up. This
> drive is suspect of being faulty.

According to http://www.seasip.info/VintagePC/floppies.html the teac
fc-1 was designed for unix workstations, and not really as a PC floppy
drive, and thinks making it work is pretty unlikely.  Some other pages
indicated programing docs for the drive says it requries a special scsi
command sent to switch into 1.44M mode.

A few hints found:
Disable HD emulation of removable drives (many adaptecs have this bios
option).
Disable disconnect on the drive (scsi bios option)
Force to 10MB/s or 5MB/s max (scsi bios option)

The commands: scsiformat, scsiinfo, scsi-config, and such may also be
helpful.

Lennart Sorensen