linuxcaffe; thinkpad battery life

Peter L. Peres plp-ysDPMY98cNQDDBjDh4tngg at public.gmane.org
Wed Oct 27 22:40:17 UTC 2004

On Wed, 27 Oct 2004, David J Patrick wrote:

> On Wed, 2004-10-27 at 17:47, Peter L. Peres wrote:
>
>> You can't run long dc cables to laptops, the voltage drop is going to
>> 'kill' the idea quickly.
>
> hmmm.
> How about one transformer for each area, servicing half a dozen laptops
> within a 12 foot range ? It's getting closer to just handing out power
> supplies with each unit.

Maybe just provide each table with the right holes from start so a
standard power brick can be put in it (and easily changed when needed).
The power needs of each laptop are large enough that making a supply for
only four of them could be a fire hazard in case a dc cable snags or
shorts out. Then you are looking at individually fused dc cords, and then
it gets complicated.

'No name' replacement bricks rated 14V, 3A should be about US$30 each when
bought by the dozen. My price info is not recent, check. Also these things
burn out from time to time. Having individual power supplies would limit
the damage in case of oops imho.

Peter