Caffe Bickford is now linuxcaffe, and you're invited !

David J Patrick davidjpatrick-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org
Tue Oct 26 23:49:39 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-10-26 at 19:07, Austin wrote:
> Cool.  Very durable machines.  Snazzy idea to use laptops too.
>
> > (233mhz+)
>
> Let's hope that's a really big "+".  You'd probably want 500 MHz minimum
> for a local installation.  233 might be enough if you're running X over
> ethernet from a master server though.

I think I depend on several factors like;
-where is X running from
-What desktop is in use
-RAM and system tuning.

only testing will tell !

> Oh gawd, please don't start a flame war.

What ? did I say VI was better than EMACS ? Just 'cause it is doesn't
mean I said it ! It's not like I suggested KDE, or anything ! Sheesh !

> I'd highly suggest something Windowsy.  This is your chance to welcome
> Windows users, not make them feel embarrassed/alienated.  Gnome 2.8 is
> surprisingly snappy.  Try out Ubuntu of you want to test a really sweet
> default Gnome setup.  It's Debian done right.

Right on !

> > and to "top up" with apps based on user requirements
>
> That would be cool too.  Solicit feedback or voting for applications.
> "What is missing on our machines?"  Kinda like Mandrakeclub.  Maybe you
> could feed the results to the media or linux distributors.

The plan is to have a series of questions on boot;
(after leaping the new user hurdle)
-desktop layout/ decoration options
[] Windows user
[] Mac user
[] linux user
-application defaults
[] surf / email
[] office apps
[] gaming

This will start the user up with a familiar interface and appropriate
choice of desktop icons. I have a flowchart that makes sense of this.

> > save your home directory and settings
>
> Locally or USB?  Locally would be so cool.  And it would make press for
> sure.  "Toronto Internet Cafe sports digital storage lockers."

Locally AND accessable from anywhere via the linuxcaffe.ca website !

> > on a sweet summers day, you can take the funky laptop and surf in the
> > park across the street ! (we've got your credit card on file ;)
>
> Woot.  All I can say is woot.
Whoot whoot !

> > great for web surfing, email, office apps, graphics work, music
> > streaming (from our collection of indie artists)
>
> The idea of having local music and local art available to take home is
> really cool, and a great way to bring in non-linuxy people.

I'm hoping that the music and video services will overshadow the OSS.

> > -lousy for network gaming (inadequate graphics horsepower and no
> > Windoze) so the legions of first person shooters will go elsewhere.
>
> You're like what... two blocks from Koreatown?  I'm sure gamers have got
> their cybercafe gaming needs covered.

In all it's dungeony glory
djp