Caffe Bickford is now linuxcaffe, and you're invited !

David J Patrick davidjpatrick-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org
Tue Oct 26 22:40:16 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-10-26 at 16:27, William Park wrote:

> Will you be installing computer stations much like "Internet Cafe"
> types?  Thin-client is the canonical solution for this, and I can give a
> hand with that, if you like.

Did I not mention internet caffe ? Silly me !
I have debated thin client at length, but worry about performance.
Rather than the typical rows of terminals, I plan to aquire a motly
assortment of elderly thinkpad laptops (233mhz+) spray painted by local
artists. These I plan to load with a common base, (debian ?) a lighter
desktop (XFWM ? Gnome 2.8+ if it will keep up) and to "top up" with apps
based on user requirements. Add an 802.11b WiFi card and thars yer
terminal Billy ! Arrrr ! (sorry, I've been putting together a pirate
costume, for halloween, and it has taken over) This is SOOO unlike a
typical internet caffe for several reasons;

-laptops
-linux
-save your home directory and settings
-on a sweet summers day, you can take the funky laptop and surf in the
park across the street ! (we've got your credit card on file ;)
-great for web surfing, email, office apps, graphics work, music
streaming (from our collection of indie artists)
-lousy for network gaming (inadequate graphics horsepower and no
Windoze) so the legions of first person shooters will go elsewhere.

This is the place where Wayne and Wendy Windozuser will catch their
first glimpse of linux, so it is vital that it be highly functional and
visually pleasing. Personally, I think Ximian Gnome is a fine example.
SVG icons and antialiased fonts are a must ! Users will have the option
to change stuff (thanks to the UN*X way) without screwing up the system.

djp