Caffe Bickford is now linuxcaffe, and you're invited !

David J Patrick davidjpatrick-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org
Tue Oct 26 14:01:13 UTC 2004

NOTICE; this is not (yet) for general distribution. Although not a
secret (dude, you put it on a mailing list ??) this is a
pre-announcement directed towards the TLUG membership. Big splashy press
releases come later. Till then, let's just keep it amongst us geeks,
shall we ?

thanks

   Hello ! You might remember be from such popular threads as; "weather
script" and "postscript purgatory" , but I'm posting today as the guy
who made all that buzz last spring about the OSS-centric Caffe Bickford.
Well, the dream is alive !
   To recap, linuxcaffe (then Caffe Bickford) will be a friendly
neighborhood place to get cappuccino, free (as in speach) software,
music and more. Many months ago I brought this idea to TLUG and was met
with several generous offers of help. I have had to surmount several
major hurdles since then, (surprise) but I am happy to say that "I'm not
dead yet !" and development is accelerating.
   A fusion of caffe, convenience store, sandwich counter, art gallery,
juice bar, music/video store and software centre, linuxcaffe is a
concept for the community, and is being designed for direct community
involvement. The full spectrum of sales and services takes a few pages
(with charts and arrows) to properly convey, but it's safe to say that
there's something for everyone.
   The domain names linuxcaffe.com and linuxcaffe.ca have been
registered, as has the ontario business name, and the renovations are
taking shape, and the time for the code to hit the road.
   Now those of you who know me, know that I'm eclectic, enthusiastic,
bringing both inspiration and perspiration to everything I do. My "day
job" is cinematographer, with over 30 years of experience in "the biz".
Those same people may also realize that I /could/ program my out of a
paper bag, but it would have to be dampened first. An habitual computer
user since the mid 80s (RadioShak TRS80 model100) my knowlege of
computer systems is surprisingly broad, but not particularly deep.
That's where /you/ come in !
   Why would you want to spend some of your precious free time helping
me put this thing together ?
- You like the idea of a place with a twelve foot high penguin on the
wall where you can get a good sandwich, and listen to cool tunes, and
you want to be a part of it.
- You think that if there were a place where average Joe could go to see
linux in action, and walk away with a shiny CD full of OSS, it would go
a long way to promote something you believe in.
- You're a red hot programmer/ sysadmin/ artist and you'd like to make
some money.
   These are but a few of the many reasons you might like to come and
play. To that end I would like to propose that the next TLUG meeting
(Nov 9th) be held at the caffe. It's at 326 Harbord (at Grace St)
exactly 1 block south of Christie subway station. It will not be
officialy open in two weeks, (lots still to do) but by then I will be
able to offer a big room with up to 30 comfortable seats, and I'll bring
coffee (not the good stuff, the espresso machine's not hooked up yet)
and a projection screen (projector to follow). If enough interest is
shown, beer could be had, too ! Heck, the bathroom plumbing might even
be working ;-) !
   If the topic/ speaker is already entrenched, that's fine, but if not,
then perhaps I might suggest "linuxcaffe; the source of the code ?"
   The ball is now in your collective court. Thanks for thinking about
it,

David J Patrick