Sympatico getting slow--my 2 cents

Srinivasan Krishnan skrishnan-PeCUgM4zDv73fQ9qLvQP4Q at public.gmane.org
Tue Oct 26 02:55:05 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-10-25 at 11:35, Teddy Mills wrote:
> Well i use to have this problem like 2 years ago with Sympaticos email
> servers...
> Just like you said..Receiving email often not a problem, but sending
> email, their SMTP servers were  sometimes impossible.

I faced this problem on and off last year at my workplace, where we had
Sympatico high speed DSL.  The reason was the Sympatico SMTP servers,
which would go down on a semi-regular basis.  Calls to tech support at
these times would invariably start with a prerecorded announcement of
"temporary mail server problems", and talking to live tech support
didn't help much either.

Luckily, our Linux host based router/ firewall also ran a CIPE VPN to
another location, which had a T1 line.  I rerouted outgoing SMTP traffic
to go through the VPN and set the SMTP server there to relay mail from
our subnet, and we didn't have any mail issues at all after that.

Cheers,

Krishnan