Gecko-based browsers seg fault

Noah John Gellner noah.gellner-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Sun Oct 24 16:09:55 UTC 2004

I have been experiencing a maddening problem with gecko based browsers.
When I try to access certain sites, including a site I need for school,
the browser immediately seg faults. For example, if I try to access
http://www.amazon.co.jp/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0002CDOCW/qid=1097523592/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_8_1/249-0718652-1413918
my browser crashes. This problem is affecting: mozilla 1.73, firefox
1.0_pre-r2, and ephiphany 1.4.4. I _can_ access the sites using
konqueror from kde 3.3.1.

I am running gentoo. I don't think the problem with the browsers is due
to running crazy USE flags. The problem occurs even when I use
pre-compiled browsers.

I am using utf8 locales. If it would be helpful, I can post the results
of locale. According to strace, the last files accessed before seg fault
are glibc.mo in in the respective locale subdirs. The file is not found.
The segfault error is a divide by 0 error.

Does the above link work for people on this list? Can anyone recommend
further troubleshooting? I have posted to gentoo's bugzilla. This
problem is fast becoming a show stopper.

Noah
--
Even Buddha punished evil - "Master Killer"