missing disk change notification in 2.4 kernels ?

Anton Markov anton-F0u+EriZ6ihBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Sat Oct 23 16:01:40 UTC 2004

Peter L. Peres wrote:
> in 2.2 and earlier kernels, insertion of media into a drive would send a
> notification event to syslog. This does not happen anymore with 2.4
> kernels ? What is the equivalent option ? E.g. how do I cause media
> insertion to cause a hotplug or equivalent event in a 2.4 series kernel
> (preferrably without recompiling the kernel) ? I have looked into kernel
> documentation but no clues so far. I did not look at the source yet.

If you are talking about CD-ROM/floppy drives, then I don't think there
is such a mechanism any more. I think there is a sysfs variable that can
be queried for this information, but you still have to check the
variable yourself. Of course I could be wrong.

If you are just looking for a way to automatically mount the media,
there are still kernel supermount patches floating around on the net.
They are not perfect, but will allow you to use a CD/Floppy without
using mount/unmount commands (much like Windows).

For the 2.6 kernels, Con Kolivas has an up-to-date supermount patch on
his patch page:
<http://members.optusnet.com.au/ckolivas/kernel/>
Follow the "all patches" link, look for the desired kernel version, and
look in the "patches" directory for the separate supermount patch.

I am not sure where to get supermount for the 2.4 kernel.

Note: I've heard a lot of people having various problems with
supermount. I've personally never had a problem with it (except that it
takes a long time to check my DVD drive for media), but there are
probably good reasons it was not included in the stock kernel.

--
Anton Markov <("anton" + "@" + "truxtar" + "." + "com")>

GnuPG Key fingerprint =
5546 A6E2 1FFB 9BB8 15C3  CE34 46B7 8D93 3AD1 44B4

*** LINUX - MAY THE SOURCE BE WITH YOU! ***