Samba and Group permission

Arpad Toth arpadtoth-FFYn/CNdgSA at public.gmane.org
Fri Oct 22 23:25:29 UTC 2004

Hi,

I would create a group first,
i.e
groupadd share

add this grp to users you want to be under samba
share..

usermod -G share <user1>
usermod -G share <user2>

check if they have their own grp and the "share"
i.e
id <user1>, it should show all grps the uid has.
create /home/share or whatever u want...
now, change permission on /home/share
to 2770, chgrp share on it, so it might be
root:share /home/share
actually we did the biggest part :)
then create the share dir in smb.conf
bring up samba, enjoy...