Samba and Group permission

Martin Duclos tchitow-PkbjNfxxIARBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Fri Oct 22 14:44:31 UTC 2004

Hi All,

I am running a samba 3.0.4-1 server.  I want to create groups so that I can
control which user has access to which file. SO, I create a new group by
editing the /etc/group file. I add the users which are to belong to that
group. I modify the group permission on the files I want the users of said
group to have access to. One of the client machines is a linux machine (but
I suspect the same problem will show up on a win machine). What I'm seeing
is that the owner of the share only has it's deafult group associated with
it. I've been reading through the samba docs and man pages but I haven't
found a solution yet. There must be some way to have a user be part of
multiple groups and have samba respect those - or is it just wishful
thinking? Any ideas?

Thanks

Martin Duclos