connecting and disconnect a usb mouse

Chris Gow sniffy-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Wed Oct 20 22:32:27 UTC 2004

On October 20, 2004 06:39 am, Peter L. Peres wrote:

> You can use 2 or more mice together. Edit the XF86Config file
> (/etc/X11/XF86Config-4 or similar). Make the section shown below resemble
> what I paste here:
>
> Section "ServerLayout"
>          Identifier     "XFree86 Configured"
>          Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
>          InputDevice    "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
>          InputDevice    "USB Mouse" "CorePointer"
>          InputDevice    "PS/2 Mouse" "CorePointer"
> EndSection
>
> The touchpad will not be disabled, you can use both (yes, this is
> confusing). The /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 will be rewritten after each config
> run so keep a backup copy after you make everything work. Yast will
> typically refuse to modify files that you have changed so you may have to
> revert to the old version to make yast work on it again.

I modified my XF86Config file as described above. But it doesn't work
:( Either the touchpad is active or the USB mouse is active but neither at the
same time. I generally try to stay away from XF86Config (too many bad
memories trying to get a config to work a few years back). But I noticed that
when I run Yast, no matter what mouse type I select, Yast always seems to
specify /dev/mouse as the device. On a lark I tried setting both of them to
the same device but that (as I expected) didn't work.  Below is a snippit of
the relevant parts of my config file as it stands. I got the results from
running Yast, changing the mouse backing up the config file, running Yast
again and adding in the new section and hitting CTRL-ALT-BACKSPACE at KDM.

Section "InputDevice"
  Driver       "mouse"
  Identifier   "Mouse[1]"
  Option       "Device" "/dev/mouse"
  Option       "Emulate3Buttons" "on"
  Option       "Name" "Autodetection"
  Option       "Protocol" "PS/2"
  Option       "Vendor" "Sysp"
  Option       "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
  Driver       "mouse"
  Identifier   "USBMouse"
  Option       "ButtonNumber" "2"
  Option       "Device" "/dev/usbmouse"
  Option       "Name" "Autodetection"
  Option       "Protocol" "ExplorerPS/2"
  Option       "Vendor" "Sysp"
  Option       "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"
  Identifier   "Layout[all]"
  InputDevice  "Keyboard[0]" "CoreKeyboard"
  InputDevice  "USBMouse" "CorePointer"
  InputDevice  "Mouse[1]" "CorePointer"
  Option       "Clone" "off"
  Option       "Xinerama" "off"