Call to arms! A new GUI for Linux

phil phillip-l+pbsqP8NtUm29vl6s1fFg at public.gmane.org
Wed Oct 20 16:16:08 UTC 2004

On Oct 19, 2004, at 9:08 PM, Aaron Vegh wrote:

> This is what infuriates me about the whole open source movement;
> ultimately, it's a developer's-only club.

(I'll assume that with "developer" you include developers of
documentation, designs, graphics, testing, and various other
things...otherwise your comment doesn't match the reality of most
mid-to-large scale projects.)

Why 'infuriates'?  Or, to put it another way, what do you think would
be fairer than: those who do the work get to determine how that effort
is applied?

> At the end of the day, it's
> the itch-scratching programmers who call the shots, and if anyone else
> has an idea, it's invalid because they can't code.

If it's an idea that *requires* code, how do you see it happening
otherwise?  Working to support someone else's vision is usually called
"employment" or "slavery", maybe.  :-)

(If that came across like, "workers of the world, unite," I sincerely
apologize...that's not my thing at all.)

Phillip Mills
Multi-platform software development
(416) 224-0714