connecting and disconnect a usb mouse

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Wed Oct 20 16:06:01 UTC 2004

On Tue, Oct 19, 2004 at 10:39:52PM -0400, Chris Gow wrote:
> I'm running Suse 8.2 and I'm trying to figure out how I can configure X so
> that until I plug in my USB mouse it uses the default touchpad. Currently I
> have to go into yast and manually switch it. Is there anyway to have the usb
> mouse detected automatically and fall back to the touchpad if it isn't
> plugged in?

If the touch pad works as ps2, I would think just configuring it to use
the ps2 device as the primary mouse and the usb as an additional mouse
should allow it to work with the touch pad at all times, and the usb
whenever connected.  At least I have used ps2 and usb mice in that setup
before without a problem.  With 2.6 kernels everything mouse related can
be read from /dev/input/mice combined so X configured to use that should
see events from any mouse connected to the system no matter what.

Lennart Sorensen