connecting and disconnect a usb mouse

Peter L. Peres plp-ysDPMY98cNQDDBjDh4tngg at public.gmane.org
Wed Oct 20 10:39:09 UTC 2004

On Tue, 19 Oct 2004, Chris Gow wrote:

> Hello:
>
> I'm running Suse 8.2 and I'm trying to figure out how I can configure X so
> that until I plug in my USB mouse it uses the default touchpad. Currently I
> have to go into yast and manually switch it. Is there anyway to have the usb
> mouse detected automatically and fall back to the touchpad if it isn't
> plugged in?

You can use 2 or more mice together. Edit the XF86Config file
(/etc/X11/XF86Config-4 or similar). Make the section shown below resemble
what I paste here:

Section "ServerLayout"
         Identifier     "XFree86 Configured"
         Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
         InputDevice    "USB Mouse" "CorePointer"
         InputDevice    "PS/2 Mouse" "CorePointer"
EndSection

The touchpad will not be disabled, you can use both (yes, this is
confusing). The /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 will be rewritten after each config
run so keep a backup copy after you make everything work. Yast will
typically refuse to modify files that you have changed so you may have to
revert to the old version to make yast work on it again.

Peter