Open Source Document Retrieval System--Firewalls? Firewalls? We dont need no stinkin Firewalls!!!

Peter L. Peres plp-ysDPMY98cNQDDBjDh4tngg at public.gmane.org
Wed Oct 20 10:28:12 UTC 2004

On Tue, 19 Oct 2004, Teddy Mills wrote:

> Filesystem?  Will says!
>
> Let SMB directory access to the root level with HTML via the internet?
> providing full access of the entire filesystem to the world.
> Now, why didnt I think of that.

Why not ? Run the os from a cd image and leave the disks open to the
world. It does not have to be 'root level' you can set up any level you
wish. I have run a small server like this for years, ftp, smb, nfs, http,
https all serve the same address space and the same files are accessible
in all protocols.

> Firewalls? Firewalls? We dont need no stinkin Firewalls!!!
> Damn the torpedoes! Full speed ahead!
> Aye Capt!

Access control and routing are security and networking problems,
respectively. An application needs to be aware of the system provided
methods and use them, not implement its own unless necessary.

Peter