router/firewall hardware advice

Alex Maynard amaynard-vQ8rsROW2HJSpjfjxSPG1fd9D2ou9A/h at public.gmane.org
Wed Oct 20 01:38:14 UTC 2004

Does any one have any suggestions for a newby on choice of router for
a small (3 pcs) home network with a fixed IP connection?

If I configure a linux box as a router does it need two NIC cards?  Does
it have to be (should it be) a dedicated router?  Are there good
linux-friendly hub type routers that can be flexibly configured?
How are CD/floppy based routers?

Currently I have an SMC router but it doesn't seem to work too well with
fixed ip (or with linux -- I could only get to the interface using windows
explorer.) Maybe I'm doing something wrong?

Alex