Call to arms! A new GUI for Linux

Patrick patrick.bloomfield-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org
Sun Oct 17 20:08:28 UTC 2004

Aaron:
Good luck with what you intend, but, as a new Linux user, I have doubts about
your direction. I don't see any problem with mimicking the mainstream
operating systems. They've been successful simply because they have met user
needs for many years now.
To my mind the benefit that Linux distributions such as SuSe 9.1 or Redhat's
equivalent is that they offer more stability, predictability and screen
clarity than their mainstream equivalents.
I've been using SuSe seriously for a couple of weeks now and, since Day One, I
have felt much more secure and at home when working with the system than I
ever did with the Msoft equivalents, and I had been using Windows since
Windows 1.0.
I respectfully suggest that the improvement to Linux distributions that are
most likely to pull users across from Windows is in documentation. A user,
whether GUI- or command line-based, not only needs to be satisfied with what
he or she is doing, but also needs to know why he or she is doing it and how
the system is doing it.
I am not a geek, and am too old (seventies) to become one. But I can
appreciate that Linux in general concept is the superior system.
But I have beaten my head against the wall overcoming simple problems, such as
setting up a wireless card, or trying to get the right file associations for
Suse's Konqueror browser, after having accidentally accepted a dialogue
option to make a global chance. Showing a whole raft of file suffices in
order to make or edit a particular file association doesn't mean thing to me.
My bookstore research has shown me a whole shelf-full of books on Redhat,  but
the literature on SuSe is pretty sparse. And that has been my main stumbling
block.
If I hadn't been able to call on the help of a too-willing techie son, I would
have been sunk.
Patrick Bloomfield.