Call to arms! A new GUI for Linux

Aaron Vegh aaronvegh-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Sun Oct 17 03:54:49 UTC 2004

> Unfortunately as long as there are (at least) two
> competing window managers, GUIs, toolkits, etc. total integration will
> never be possible. While Freedesktop.org is a step in the right
> direction, it can never achieve total integration while there are two
> major groups of developers with different priorities and design goals.
> It's like asking for a consensus on every issue in a multi-party
> political system; the best that can be offered are compromises and
> choices. A new window manager, GUI toolkit, or even a new X-like server
> (www.y-windows.org) won't solve the problem; it'll only escalate it by
> increasing the possibilities for incompatibility.

You raise a very valid point, and I agree completely that what I'm
proposing will basically add to an already-complicated landscape.
However, what other solution is there? Nobody sees QT and GTK
coalescing anytime soon, so why not introduce a separate alternative?

I forsee a system that won't dovetail too closely with KDE and Gnome;
from the site you'll get the idea that applications will have to be
written specifically for it; modified even if only slightly to behave
according to my system's spec. The result will break certain benefits
of Linux, and trade it in for a stable, predictable and _consistent_
user experience.

Cheers,
Aaron.