Call to arms! A new GUI for Linux

William Park opengeometry-FFYn/CNdgSA at public.gmane.org
Sun Oct 17 03:54:06 UTC 2004

On Sat, Oct 16, 2004 at 06:23:05PM -0400, JoeHill wrote:
> On Sat, 16 Oct 2004 17:34:37 -0400 William Park disseminated the
> following:
>
> > Agree with your analysis, but disagree about solution.  Once
> > MS-Office, particularly MS-Word, is ported to Linux, nobody will
> > even miss Gnome and KDE.  Because people will go from X to Xterm to
> > MS-Word directly, skipping Gnome and KDE.
>
> What in the hell does this have to do with the topic at hand? Who
> gives a rat's ass if MS Orifice is *ever* ported to Linux?

OP is under mistaken notion that GUI will lead to more Linux sale.  It's
application which sells OS, not the other way.  Microsoft is #1, because
they sell #1 application.  This GUI-centric infatuation is a
diversionary tactic promoted by Microsoft.  Meanwhile, Microsoft is slow
and surely cleaning up database market which is in fact worth more.

If I had money, I would invest on filesystem.  I mean, put database
engine into filesystem, so that it can do indexing, transaction, and all
other database "stuffs".  Journaling filesystem is sort of in this
direction.  It's not sexy and probably will not get PR.  But, it allows
Linux to lock out Oracle, Sybase, DB2, and other database, because the
database services that they offer can be done by native filesystem on
Linux machine.  That's $100 Billion market, folks.

--
William Park <opengeometry-FFYn/CNdgSA at public.gmane.org>