Call to arms! A new GUI for Linux

William Park opengeometry-FFYn/CNdgSA at public.gmane.org
Sat Oct 16 21:34:37 UTC 2004

On Sat, Oct 16, 2004 at 04:55:10PM -0400, Aaron Vegh wrote:
> Indeed, the trouble with Gnome and KDE -- impressive as they are -- is
> that they too closely mimic the mainstream operating systems. Without
> a compelling advantage, what is the incentive to switch?

Agree with your analysis, but disagree about solution.  Once MS-Office,
particularly MS-Word, is ported to Linux, nobody will even miss Gnome
and KDE.  Because people will go from X to Xterm to MS-Word directly,
skipping Gnome and KDE.

> There's really only one problem: it doesn't exist yet. Worse, I'm not
> a developer, so I can't make it happen alone. I'm just a publisher
> trained in information architecture, and the most I can code is PHP.
> But I can manage a software project. I have the vision, and I've got
> the ideas. I need help!
>
> Initially, I'm looking for a "lead developer" and "graphic designer"
> -- two folks who will help shape the technical and visual aspects of
> the environment. To the first will go the responsibility for
> determining the technical specifications of the environment --
> languages, what distro it'll be based on, and how to break the project
> down into sub-projects. To the second, the responsibility for building
> the look 'n' feel -- icons, desktop backgrounds, window dressings and
> other widgets.

You also need money.

--
William Park <opengeometry-FFYn/CNdgSA at public.gmane.org>