Call to arms! A new GUI for Linux

Aaron Vegh aaronvegh-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Sat Oct 16 20:55:10 UTC 2004

Good day!
Many people have talked about the next generation of graphical user
interfaces. Mac OS X was supposed to represent a radical departure
from the desktop metaphor; instead, the underlying technology became
its distinguishing feature. Microsoft's Longhorn is supposed to be
"next generation" -- instead, it's looking like 'more of the same.'

Meanwhile, the Linux platform is clamouring for the tantalizing goal
of "ease of use", that key to final acceptance on the desktop. We're
not there yet, and many doubt that the current solutions -- Gnome and
KDE -- have what it takes to get us there.

Indeed, the trouble with Gnome and KDE -- impressive as they are -- is
that they too closely mimic the mainstream operating systems. Without
a compelling advantage, what is the incentive to switch?

This problem has troubled me for some time, but now I'd like to do
what I haven't seen anyone else do: propose a solution.

I have begun a project called Dark Sun Linux. It's goal is to create a
new GUI for the Linux desktop. It walks away from the "desktop"
metaphor of files and folders and trashcans, of icons strewn on the
desktop, of windows piled on top of windows.

Instead, Dark Sun proposes to abstract the computing experience and
cut its ties with the limiting metaphor; instead it'll be a system of
drawers and trays, where files are kept by their applications, where
the user knows exactly where everything is because it's _right there_,
and where the keyboard is king.

There's really only one problem: it doesn't exist yet. Worse, I'm not
a developer, so I can't make it happen alone. I'm just a publisher
trained in information architecture, and the most I can code is PHP.
But I can manage a software project. I have the vision, and I've got
the ideas. I need help!

Initially, I'm looking for a "lead developer" and "graphic designer"
-- two folks who will help shape the technical and visual aspects of
the environment. To the first will go the responsibility for
determining the technical specifications of the environment --
languages, what distro it'll be based on, and how to break the project
down into sub-projects. To the second, the responsibility for building
the look 'n' feel -- icons, desktop backgrounds, window dressings and
other widgets.

Once the specifications are drawn, we can open it up to the open
sourcing developers and other helpers out there, and get this thing
done!

Project Dark Sun is now set up as a project on Sourceforge, and I'd
love it if you could check out the site at:

http://darksunlinux.sourceforge.net

You'll also find a much more detailed description of what I'm
envisioning, complete with mockup screenshots.

I am telling this list about the project first, in the hopes of
securing a local team. Depending on response, I'll write a column for
OSNews.com and let Slashdot know. I think there'll be a lot of
interest!

Cheers!
Aaron.