Palm synching.

daniel danstemporaryaccount-FFYn/CNdgSA at public.gmane.org
Fri Oct 15 20:43:00 UTC 2004

On October 15, 2004 04:33 pm, Robert Turcott wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I need to get my palm (treo 600) synching with a usb connection.  I have
> struggled with it before and have got it part way there but really don't
> want to go through it from scratch again.  I had RH8.0 pretty well set
> up for a desktop at home but essentially reverted back to winXP and one
> of the main reasons is Palm synching.  I have a new install of FC3-test3
> for testing with our Progress DB server and would like to see if I can
> get the desktop setup to the point where I can finally switch (at home).
>   But I'm not going to go thru all that effort again if I can't get my
> palm going.
>
> Gnome-pilot is installed and set up with default ports, but I belive I
> need to link the usb port, to which my palm is connected, to /dev/pilot.
>   I don't remember a simple way to find that device.  Also, anyone have
> experience getting to point where you can actually do a hotsync install
> of software (i.e. a .prc or .pdb file) and archiving?
> Any help - or pointers to a CONSISE reference would be greatly appreciated.

i'm not sure i can help you with the gnome-specific aspects, but in order to
find the dev address of my handspring when i pushed the hotsync button, i
just hit the button and watched /var/log/messages for what device the kernel
assigned it.  then in kpiolot, i specified what the device name was and
viola! everything just worked.

--
Figures - first time in the Core, and what do I get to do? Dig through trash.
Why couldn't he send me shopping at the Tri-plex, or - ooh! Synchronizers!