Accessing a WEP-secured wireless network

Peter L. Peres plp-ysDPMY98cNQDDBjDh4tngg at public.gmane.org
Fri Oct 15 20:26:01 UTC 2004

On Fri, 15 Oct 2004, James Knott wrote:

>> That is likely a permissions problem on the properties file. I have seen a
>> lot of these problems on some installations.
>
> The same applies, when I try to change the settings in the Control Center,
> using administration mode.  What file are you referring to?

In general the permissions on the config files seem to be a mess after
installation for some reason. The file may be read-only or otherwise
protected or a symbolic link to a read only system default setting.

If you want to see what files the program opens, exactly, use strace or
read the source. I found k* documentation to be windowishly terse. A
useful strace run would be:

strace Kwifimanager 2>&1|grep -E "open\("|less

(from a command line)

Peter