Open Source Jobs

Emma Jane Hogbin emmajane-MHIYrZpDPrNWk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org
Fri Oct 15 18:41:23 UTC 2004

On Fri, Oct 15, 2004 at 02:18:39PM -0400, Henry Spencer wrote:
> One caution:  if you don't have *a* degree, most any employer large enough
> to have an HR department will have a strong tendency to consign your
> resume to the recycle bin without reading it.  This has nothing to do with

I'd tend to agree with this. My B.Sc. in environmental science has helped
me a great deal in getting initial interviews. I don't think it's critical
to have an exact match between your degree and what you'd like a job in,
rather it shows: (1) commitment (at least three years to get a degree),
(2) training in/and practice of _methodologies_ (i.e. how to run a lab
experiment and report the results, or researching and writing essays).

One of my past employers said he prefers university grads to college
grads. In his experience a university grad is better at researching topics
they don't already understand and therefore better able to adapt to a
changing work environment. This isn't true of _all_ employers...but it is
something to be aware of.

emma

--
Emma Jane Hogbin