Open Source Jobs

Jing Su jingsu-26n5VD7DAF2Tm46uYYfjYg at public.gmane.org
Fri Oct 15 17:56:15 UTC 2004

> industry.  So you're right, education is only half of what you need to
> be happy and successful.

(just to give a different perspective, in my humble opinion)

As someone who's in graduate school, I have to agree.  I think that unless
you really want to pursue some kind of computer research, it might not
even be worthwhile to get a CS degree.  Anyone can learn computers as a
hobby, and you can certainly educate yourself sufficiently to understand
practical CS aspects like complexity theory, design patterns, and data
structures.

If you REALLY want to program, then get started working on stuff to build
your portfolio.  In a weird way it's like art.  You need stuff you can
show.

IMHO, school doesn't help much.  I can't get a job anywhere, and now I've
reached the point where I'm a little tired of computers, but don't have
much background in anything else.  My CS education has made me a decently
good programmer... but in this market, you really have to be one of the
best to make a living off it.

Anyways, that's just my opinion.

-Jing