Accessing a WEP-secured wireless network - SOLVED

William O'Higgins william.ohiggins-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Thu Oct 14 23:30:10 UTC 2004

>> On Thu, 2004-10-14 at 08:40 -0400, Noah John Gellner wrote:
>> > If you are specifically talking about accessing U of T's wireless
>> > network, there is a trick you might find helpful. When I enter the key
>> > as text it doesn't work. So I enter it as:
>> > 55:54:6f:72:6f:6e:31:68:6f:6d:65

That was part of my problem, I knew that iwconfig was looking for the
password in that form, but I was unable to determine how I was to
translate the password into the above form.  How did you get this value?

>> On Thu, 2004-10-14 at 08:51, Austin wrote:
>> If you're talking about iwconfig, to enter a key as text rather than
>> hex, prepend it with "s:".

I was, and thank you - I never saw this in my examinations of the man
page.  So, I am now using this:

iwconfig eth0 essid <network name> enc s:<text password>

And lo, it works.  Similarly to Noah, I note that there are weird
consistency problems in different locations around U of T.  I am going
to examine more carefully, and see if there is a way to identify the
problem access points and see if there is an easy fix.

Thank you all.
--

yours,

William