What are your favorite fax programs these days?

James Knott james.knott-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Thu Oct 14 01:53:11 UTC 2004

Stewart C. Russell wrote:
> Bill Mudry wrote:
>

>> Kind of makes you wonder, doesn't it, how long fax will still stay
>> prominent in the business world.
>

> It's pretty much dead in my industry. We get about one non-junk fax a week.
>
>> That is nice to know --- especially, for instance, for someone who is
>> between jobs.
>

> Your local Employment Resource Centre (run by HRDC) will fax cover
> letters and resumes for free.

However, most of the employers want e-mail or web site applications
these days.  Fax is rarely used for that now.  I used to use a fax
program (Faxworks on OS/2) quite a lot, but it's been a while since I've
had to send or receive a fax.  In fact, the last time I did either, was
to help someone test their fax modem.  Nowadays, I just use e-mail.  If
someone want's a copy of a paper document, I just scan and send the
image as a pdf attachment (I've sent a couple of dozen recently).  In
fact, the KDE Kprinter can print to pdf and e-mail in one operation.