What are your favorite fax programs these days?

Stewart C. Russell scruss-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org
Wed Oct 13 20:09:16 UTC 2004

dave morton wrote:

> Add a scanner for tif production and you are really in business to start
> blasting faxes all over the universe.

But that's the problem. As soon as your fax number gets known, people
start blasting you faxes you don't want. And that costs toner and paper.

If you need to send faxes, but dont want to mess with hardware, I used
to use Protus <http://www.protus.com/>. For a varying fee schedule,
they'll give you a number that will redirect faxes to your inbox as
multipage TIFFs, and allow you to send faxes by e-mail. It was one of
those "it just works" solutions.

I gave it up a few months back, after I realised I had neither sent nor
received a fax for a year. Typically, though, I got a request for my fax
number two days after I dropped the account.

If you need to send a fax for free, and don't mind sending a cover page
with an ad on it, and can live with patchy coverage, try TPC:
<http://www.tpc.int/>

  Stewart