How to Compile C++ programs

Devin Whalen devin-Gq53QDLGkWIleAitJ8REmdBPR1lH4CV8 at public.gmane.org
Wed Oct 13 15:05:23 UTC 2004

Hello,

I am trying to do some C++ programing on Linux, unfortunately I am
having trouble compiling my "hello world" scripts.  AFAIK, I just have
to type g++ fill.cc and it will compile...but I don't seem to have g++
installed.  I thought it is part of the gcc package but I already have
that installed.  I am running Mandrake 10.1 and I like to just use urpmi
to install any programs.  If I type urpmi -a g++  I get the message "no
package named g++" and if I try urpmi -a gcc, I get the message
"everything is installed".  I just got the book Essential C++ and I want
to learn it over the weekend...but it will be difficult if I can't get
my code to run :).  What am I missing?

Also, does anyone know some good Linux Programming books for C++ and/or
C?  Also, what about a good editor.  I am thinking along the lines of
Visual C++ for Windows.  I plan do to most of it just in vi, but just in
case I get into more complicated projects it might be nice to have a
program to help with that.

Thanks for the help.

Later

--
Devin Whalen
Programmer

Take back the Web with FireFox....a browser you can trust
www.getfirefox.com

   .-.
   /v\    L   I   N   U   X
  // \\