printing to my windows machine

Frank Peng frank_peng_01-/E1597aS9LQAvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Mon Oct 11 22:04:26 UTC 2004

Brad,

I am doing the same thing as you.

In order to detect Windows machine from Samba, you can
do it on the Samba machine:
smbclient -L localhost

If you can not see your windows machine, try ping his
ip address to see if any cable and network adapter
problem.

If you can ping it but your Samba cannot see it, have
you make a root user for your Samba?
smbpasswd -a root

If you log on your Windows with a log name such as
Administrator, you need create a corresponding Samba
user:
smbpasswd -a administrator

And you also need go to /etc/smb.conf to make Samba
browse your local network, say, 192.168.0

Also you need to create a user "root" in your Windows
to connect Samba's configuration interface,
http://<your samba ip iddress>:901

I have got in here. What ever I do I cannot make the
printer move.

If you got cups running in your Linux, you can go
http://<your cups machine>:631 to add a printer but I
can never get a printer move.

There are 3 way to make Linux work Windows printing:
SMB, WINDOWS UNIX PRINTING SERVER and Windows' HTTP.
Cups only deal with the last 2 services.

I have another Windows machine, I even cannot get
another Windows to use this Windows printer.

There is a file called LMLOSTS in
\winnt\system32\dirvers\etc\, you can set up ip
address and host names for Windows to find the names.
But I still did not get it work.

If you worked it out, please let me know .

Thanks all!

Frank Peng.