Running a command on all file occurences in a directory tree

Fraser Campbell fraser-eicrhRFjby5dCsDujFhwbypxlwaOVQ5f at public.gmane.org
Fri Oct 8 23:13:48 UTC 2004

On Friday 08 October 2004 18:48, Chris F.A. Johnson wrote:

>       So long as there are no filenames containing newlines:
>
> find . -type f -name "*,jpg" |
>   while IFS= read -r FILENAME
>   do
>      convert "$FILENAME" -resize 425 "$FILENAME"
>   done

Why not just:

    find . -type f -name \*.jpg | while read file; do
        convert "$file" -resize 425 "small-$file"
    done

My question I guess is what's the difference between
"while IFS= read -r file" and "while read file"?

Also I'd think input and output files should be different on the conver
command, though I'm not sure what op wanted.