proftpd port <> 21

SlackRat ab460-0l1pH2CMacvR7s880joybQ at public.gmane.org
Fri Oct 8 05:59:42 UTC 2004

lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org (Lennart Sorensen) writes:

> Remember inetd binds to whatever port is used for the service type you
> list it as, so rather than listing it as ftp service you might want to
> list it as 'myftp' or something and add that to /etc/services.  inetd
> does not care one bit what your proftpd.conf file says to use.

I actually knew that once you mentioned it.

I'd been sorta led astray by the fact that http is also in inetd and not
commented out, and thinking that proftpd should similarly work from inetd,
but in actual fact inetd doesn't launch the http daemon. That
is done, at least on a slack system, via /etc/rc.httpd

Thanks Lennart.

--
Slackrat