Very basic request

talexb-SBdzbUvMQDunS0EtXVNi6w at public.gmane.org talexb-SBdzbUvMQDunS0EtXVNi6w at public.gmane.org
Thu Oct 7 18:59:48 UTC 2004

On Thu, 7 Oct 2004, Patrick wrote:

> If anybody has a moment I would appreciate an answer to a very, very basic
> question. I have downloaded and saved a file called "thunderbird
> 0.8-j686-linux-gtik2+xft.tar.gz". How should I phrase the command to unzip
> it?

The file extensions tell you it is a gzipped tar file. You can unzip it
with

  gunzip thunderbird-0.8-j686-linux-gtik2+xft.tar.gz

which will produce

  thunderbird-0.8-j686-linux-gtik2+xft.tar

and then you can untar it with

  tar -xf thunderbird-0.8-j686-linux-gtik2+xft.tar

.. or .. you can unzip and untar it all at once with

  tar -xzf thunderbird-0.8-j686-linux-gtik2+xft.tar.gz

Note that both of the preceding tar commands will unpackage this software
in your current directory. You can change that with the -C tar argument,
but your best bet is to

  man tar

to better understand how it all works.

Alex