Buying something new

Igor Denisov denisov-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu Oct 7 16:03:58 UTC 2004

I guess the important question is, what is your budget?
If you are looking at a dual processor box, on the low end of the
scale you'll ahve your Athlon MPs or older Xeons, AMD still being
cheaper.

If you want something better, the Opterons are the way to go, under
Linux, they seem to perform much better than the ne 64-bit enabled
Xeons, especially in server apps, see

http://www.anandtech.com/linux/showdoc.aspx?i=2163&p=8

and

http://www20.tomshardware.com/cpu/20030422/opteron-17.html

Also, are you going to build it yourself?
I'm not aware of any PC shops around the city that would more or less
specialized

Distro-wise, I personally am sticking to my SuSE 9.1
So far, it is the only distro that properly recognized my SATA
controller (a via one, I think, on an nForce2 board, and it seems to
be unsupported officially), something that even win2k had trouble
with.

Igor