postscript purgatory & the callsheet

David J Patrick davidjpatrick-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org
Tue Oct 5 16:59:32 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-09-27 at 08:50, Stewart C. Russell wrote:
> In a past life, I was a prepress systems hack. Ah, the joys of finding
> the error in 8GB of PostScript ...

> > Q#3
> > I am starting to /get/ the concept of virtual printers, and would love
> > to just fire ant ps document at "printer.callsheet" or whatever. Is
> > there an painless way to set that up ?
>
> You could, but it's all dependent on the printing system you use. I'd
> just stick with a script.

that's where I'm at now. The script (thanks to Lennart & William) is
working nicely, but the HTML styling and PS output (via htmldoc) could
use a tweak or two.

I'm transforming html > ps with;
htmldoc --webpage --gray --footer ct1 --top 2 --bottom 2 --left 24
--right 6 -f $CALLSHEETDIR/$USER/$USER.callsheet.ps
$CALLSHEETDIR/$USER/$USER.callsheet.html

and printing with;
if [ "$1" = "-p" ]; then
        psbook -s4 $CALLSHEETDIR/$USER/$USER.callsheet.ps | psnup
-pletter -2 | psselect -o | lp
        read -p "hit any key"   # wait "hit any key"
        psbook -s4 $CALLSHEETDIR/$USER/$USER.callsheet.ps | psnup
-pletter -2 | psselect -e | lp
fi

ps issues;

1) not getting full (2 up) page coverage with the top & bottom margins
(I tried to use negative top/bottom values and it just pushed things
into a seemingliy unprintable zone, like, 2cm from the 11in edge)

2) the header won't go away. Doesn't matter what I do.

3) I have yet to apply .css. will htmldoc "just work" ?

> Sounds like an interesting project.
>
>   Stewart

I'm finding it a potent PIM tool.
The daily callsheet, with weather, sunrise/set, todays appointments,
selected tomorrows appointments, selected todos, and memos where the
title contains "~" (arbitrary) takes 12 seconds to create, is nicely
navigable and searchable in a browser, and prints out in another 30 sec,
including flipping the sheet in the printer.

I'm sure that by adding a bit more .css, postscript and bash talent, "
clsht" would be useful for anyone who uses the palm and has a lot to
track. To that end I'll be posting the whole ball o wax at Sourceforge.

Anyone interested ? I'll send related files off-list, till it lives and
breathes at the "Forge"

thanks all !
djp