Linux in PDSB

Paul King pking123-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org
Tue Oct 5 10:49:20 UTC 2004

Some good news.

I have been doing an LTO in Brampton, and I have found out that the Peel
District School Board runs Novell servers, and their computers (at least at my
school anyway) run Lilo boot loaders. You can see not just Lilo, but also the
Linux kernel itself loading, although you still end up with the 95/98/XP
operating system once the kernel connects to the Novell server on an end user
machine.

The servers at our board is solid Linux. The "Wiring Closet" is at the back of
the upstairs staff room, and in the server monitor you can see the familiar
linux system messages (familiar both in the sense of the messages, and that
unlike Windows servers, the display is a console display, not a graphical one).

A further selling point, which you can relate to the big shots at TDSB.

Paul King