Mozilla, scripts and prefetching links problem

Madison Kelly linux-5ZoueyuiTZhBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Mon Oct 4 17:52:29 UTC 2004

Hi all,

   I noticed an odd problem today that (frustratingly) turned out to be
caused by a new Mozilla option in the cache settings called "Link
Prefetching". (Under "Tools" -> "Preferences" -> "Advanced" -> "Cache"
-> "Link Prefetching" )

   The problem arises when it (apparently) prefetches links which
actually call a perl script. Specifically the problem arose in my
program's web-based file browser when I tried to browse through the
directory tree. I would try to click on the icon to show or hide
sub-directories (which calls the same script passing some variables in
the URL) and it would not call the script.

   The links are in the format:
http://url/cgi-bin/script.cgi?name=val&name=val...

   Lance suggested using forms instead of passing the values in the URL
but the problem with that is that closing the form seems to force a line
wrap and I have three items that need to be beside each other. I suppose
if worse comes to worse I can create nested tables and place each form
in a table cell but I would like to avoid that if I can.

   So the question is; given that Mozilla enables this prefetch
automatically (at least in v1.7.3) is there any way to tell Mozilla not
to use this (similar to the 'nocache' option) from the web page? Has
anyone else even seen this problem? Does anyone have an alternative idea
on how I could prevent or solve this?

Thanks!!

--
Madison Kelly