Apt-get problem ?

Fraser Campbell fraser-eicrhRFjby5dCsDujFhwbypxlwaOVQ5f at public.gmane.org
Mon Oct 4 16:34:11 UTC 2004

On Monday 04 October 2004 11:45, Jim Taylor wrote:

> dpkg: error
> processing /var/cache/apt/archives/kdelibs-data_4%3a3.3.0-2_all.deb
> (--unpack):
>  trying to overwrite `/usr/share/mimelnk/audio/x-ms-wma.desktop', which is
> also in package kmplayer
> dpkg-deb: subprocess paste killed by signal (Broken pipe)
>  /var/cache/apt/archives/kdelibs-data_4%3a3.3.0-2_all.deb
> root at 0[jimt]#

A bunch of packages require kdelibs-data since that can't be installed your
upgrades cannot proceed.

It tells you the exact reason why the upgrade is failing "trying to overwrite
`/usr/share/mimelnk/audio/x-ms-wma.desktop', which is also in package
kmplayer" ... dpkg (by default) will not overwrite files belonging to
packages other than the one being upgraded.

One solution, which I always use and which has yet to bite me, is:

    dpkg -i --force-overwrite \
        /var/cache/apt/archives/kdelibs-data_4%3a3.3.0-2_all.deb

That should install kdelibs-data, then do the "apt-get -f install" followed by
whatever you were initially trying to do.  The joy of unstable packages in
transition is that this can crop up more than a few times ... i.e. be
prepared to install a few more individual packages with the --force-overwrite
option.