strange cups problem

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Mon Oct 4 16:16:35 UTC 2004

On Sun, Oct 03, 2004 at 02:34:45AM -0400, Peter L. Peres wrote:
> cups is installed correctly and runs using the lpr, lpq, lprm commands
> (besides the web interface). Anything (ps, image, text) printed using lpr
> from the cli is done right. Nearly everything printed from applications
> comes out raw, in despite of the printer command being set to lpr. There
> is only one lpr in the path. lpd was never installed on htis system.

I wonder if some programs generate binary postscript files, and cups
thinks they are 'raw' and dumps them as if they were native raw printer
commands.  Not sure why that would be given it seems to work fine here
from the programs I have used and I have cups with raw support (so
samba, etc can work with windows users.)

Which programs cause problems?  Does the output postscript look like
ascii postscript or binary junk?

What are the first few lines of the postscript?

Lennart Sorensen