global Xsession

Fraser Campbell fraser-eicrhRFjby5dCsDujFhwbypxlwaOVQ5f at public.gmane.org
Mon Oct 4 14:28:23 UTC 2004

On Monday 04 October 2004 00:18, Noah John Gellner wrote:

> My question is, can a generally set of must run programs be specified
> when using xdm/gdm/kdm/qingy? I don't want to write and .Xsession for
> each desktop/wm that I might use.

In Debian there is a directory /etc/X11/Xsession.d/ where various scripts sit.
They are executed in a run-parts style.  Here's the ones I have:

  20xfree86-common_process-args       55gnome-session_gnomerc
  92xprint-xpserverlist.sh                       30xfree86-common_xresources
  90xfree86-common_ssh-agent            99xfree86-common_start
  50xfree86-common_determine-startup 92xprint-xpserverlist

In the past I have had to allow french and english keyboard layouts, I believe
I just put a script in there that checked for the existence of ~/.french ...
if the file existed it would call setxkbmap with the appropriate args.

Since you didn't mention the distro you use I'm not sure how your configs are
setup but I expect most distros allow some variation on the above theme.  I
like the run-parts style since it means you don't modify your distros default
configs when adding your customizations.

Just read through all the X startup scripts to see what gets sourced/executed,
it shouldn't be too hard to find the right place to do it.  Starting point is
most likely /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc