global Xsession

Robert Brockway robert-5LEc/6Zm6xCUd8a0hrldnti2O/JbrIOy at public.gmane.org
Mon Oct 4 04:28:14 UTC 2004

On Mon, 4 Oct 2004, Noah John Gellner wrote:

> I usually start X with startx. I have been thinking of using other
> approaches and have a number of applications that must start before X.
> Currently I start the applications by loading them before the exec
> [desktop/wm] line in my .xinitrc.
>
> My question is, can a generally set of must run programs be specified
> when using xdm/gdm/kdm/qingy? I don't want to write and .Xsession for
> each desktop/wm that I might use.

I've used ~/.xsession with xdm and kdm and (iirc) gdm.  Any display
manager should honour a .xsession if it finds one.  The .xsession is
started by the display manager and goes on to start your window manager.
You may need to look at how to get .xsession to start your favourite
desktop environment.  I use fvwm2 which still rocks :)

Rob

--
Robert Brockway B.Sc. email: robert-5LEc/6Zm6xCUd8a0hrldnti2O/JbrIOy at public.gmane.org, rbrockway-cFo9iiqjkw8eIZ0/mPfg9Q at public.gmane.org