Introduction and first request for help (especially with permissions)

Peter L. Peres plp-ysDPMY98cNQDDBjDh4tngg at public.gmane.org
Sun Oct 3 23:54:13 UTC 2004

On Sun, 3 Oct 2004, Bill Mudry wrote:

> When I would try to save it, it keeps saying that it cannot save the backup
> and then that it cannot save the file I am working on.
> Ok, I can understand that I was working as user "bill" so it would not
> necessary have the right permissions. However, I then
> did a su root to get root privileges. I then opened another copy of Bluefish
> and made the changes again and tried to save --- as
> root. It still refuses to save(!).
>
> Next, I was reminded via a search on Google that users are administrated
> using DrakeUsers and got that going. I widened the
> permissions and folders allowed for user bill. I tried to do the required
> changes again and STILL it will not save! What am I doing
> wrong? There are a number of configuration files I will have to tweak and
> will need to have them all save before I can get lots of
> key programs to work well.

If you have doubts about what user you are running as while in an
application try to save a dummy file into /tmp, f.ex. /tmp/foo and then
look at its premissions and ownership. this always works unless a file
with the same name already exists in tmp and is owned by someone else. In
that case choose a different name and try again.

> Closely related to this .....
>        When the Linux boots, the current user is bill, so any application
> that opens is going to inherit the permissions of the user
>        that called it. Is that right? How do I, then, get "root" going? Here
> are they ways I know so far:
>
>                - the most common I have used is to change from user bill via
> su root. However, if a file is already being edited,
>                  is there a way to save a file when it will not let me?

Save it under another name in your home directory and then exit the
application, become root and copy it where it belongs. It is worth your
while to keep copies of the original.

>                - I have started a root session via the side menus that ask
> what kind of terminal you want to start. It works, but
>                  because I will be using root quite a bit at first setting
> up stuff, I wish a root session and terminal would
>                  concurrently be active on each bootup. How can I do that?

What is 'concurrently active on bootup' ? Autostart is achieved by putting
a shortcut with the right attributes into the Startup (Autostart) folder
of kde, one for each application to be started.

good luck,

Peter