autoconf: my turn to ask questions ;-( (actually sed expert question)

Peter L. Peres plp-ysDPMY98cNQDDBjDh4tngg at public.gmane.org
Sun Oct 3 16:52:55 UTC 2004

While trying to compile pgsql 7.0.3 (yes it has to be that version) on a
modern system I have a sed error during configure run. I debugged the
scripts generated by the configure script and the sed error boils down to
this: A sed script generated by config.status has these lines:

s%@CPP@%gcc -E%g
s%@CC_VERSION@%gcc (GCC) 3.3.3 (Debian 20040429)
PURPOSE.%g
s%@ELF_SYS@%true%g

this script generates a sed 's command not terminated' error on the line
with CC_VERSION when passed to sed using a command like:

sed -f conftest.s1

where conftest.s1 contains the lines above. I seem to have read that sed
does not like newlines in the arguments for s and position commands. In
that case, what sed version is needed to make the above work, or what
escaping can I use to make it work ? sed -V is GNU sed version 4.0.9. I do
not know what the version of sed was, under which it previously worked
(the script used to work on another, older, version of os). The current
system is Debian unstable based.

tia,

Peter

PS: the sed manpage seems to indicate that the newlines in regexps should
either be represented as \n or escaped with \ at end of line. I will try
\n now.