Upgrade from Mandrake 9.1 to 10.1

Matt Cahill m-cahill-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Sun Oct 3 20:12:49 UTC 2004

On October 3, 2004 03:53 pm, Clive DaSilva wrote:
> Thanks for your response. I do not have enough space to create another
> partition for the 10.1 install, along with my original 9.1 partition, so
> it looks like clean install (wipe the drive first).
>
> Thanks
>
> Clive

Clive,

  Some context (being an ex-Mandrake user):  if you choose to upgrade vs.
clean install, you may inherit some widespread bugginess in certain apps that
have gone through major changes since 9.1 (particularly KDE and it's
minions).  If you were going from 10 -> 10.1, I'd say just upgrade, but as
you're using 9.1 you may actually be making life easier by simply doing a
clean install.  Remember to back up your /home and any configuration files
you may have manually tweaked elsewhere, regardless of whatever option you
pick.

  If you're going to do a clean install, I'd suggest allowing Mandrake to
put /home on a separate partition.  That way, you can do a clean install for
another version or distro without necessarily wiping out your personal stuff.

 <imho> Personally, I'd wait until 10.1 goes gold (or at least Release
Candidate)...Mandrake is not known for their bug-free pre-releases. </imho>

--
Matt Cahill
            m dash cahill at rogers dot com