interesting development

George Nicol technicol-MwcKTmeKVNQ at public.gmane.org
Fri Oct 1 17:14:28 UTC 2004

The following link points to I, Cringely's "Pulpit" article posted
yesterday. The article prominently mentions some outfit in Canada called
Starnix. And I guess Evan is too modest to direct our attention that
way. I hope he's not too modest to do a presentation for the group in
the near future.

	The Limits of SpongeBob SquarePants

	One Canadian's Wireless Neighborhood Network
	Could Someday Serve Us All

	By Robert X. Cringely

from the first two paragraphs:

"Like many of us, Andrew Greig put a WiFi access point in his house so
he could share his broadband Internet connection.  But like hardly any
of us, Andrew uses his WiFi network for Internet, television, and
telephone.  He cancelled his telephone line and cable TV service.  Then
his neighbors dropped-by, saw what Andrew had done, and they cancelled
their telephone and cable TV services, too, many of them without having
a wired broadband connection of their own.  They get their service from
Andrew, who added an inline amplifier and put a better antenna in his
attic.  Now most of Andrew's neighborhood is watching digital TV with
full PVR capability, making unmetered VoIP telephone calls, and
downloading data at prodigious rates thanks to shared bandwidth.  Is
this the future of home communications and entertainment?  It could be,
five years from now, if Andrew Greig has anything to say about it."

"The advantage Andrew Greig has over most of the rest of us is that he
works for Starnix, an international Open Source software and services
consultancy in Toronto, Canada.  Starnix, which deals with huge
corporate clients, has the brain power to get running what I described
above.  And it goes much further than that simple introduction."