GNU Build Utilities

John Wildberger wildberger-iRg7kjdsKiH3fQ9qLvQP4Q at public.gmane.org
Sat Oct 2 01:06:37 UTC 2004

On Friday 01 October 2004 04:24 pm, Peter L. Peres wrote:
> On Thu, 30 Sep 2004, John Wildberger wrote:
> > I would like to use the GNU build utiities automake and autoconfig to
> > generate an executable file from a simple c program.

> > John
>
> Automake/autoconfig tutorials do not fit in an email but did you look at
> 'info automake' -> Examples -> Hello ?
>
> Peter
Well, I have to admit it, I approached this problem with a very simplistic
attitude. My c program is only a few lines long and contains only the bare
minimum to print Hello World.
Following your advice I got hold of the Example "hello-1.3.tar.gz"  .
I untared it, then used configure, make and then make install.
Lo and behold I got an executable file called 'hello' that printed happily
'Hello, World!
Examining all the produced files I was in for some surprises.
The source c file is 263 lines long,
There are 35 files in the source tree.
The configure file is 554 lines long
The Makefile is only 124 lines long.
Most of the other files are a mystery in their makeup and usage.
Enough said, I will stick with simple cc compiler and let the wizards worry
about the GNU build system.
John