Rogers NNTP

SlackRat ab460-0l1pH2CMacvR7s880joybQ at public.gmane.org
Sat Oct 2 00:31:15 UTC 2004

Accessing multimedia newsgroups is somthing I seldom do.

Text based and even jpeg/gif type posts  are still accesible with no problem.

However, today when I attempted to save an avi file, I got a ``handshake
failed'' message from the server.

I usually use Gnus and wondered if I had borked the config somehow, but was
doubtful because I haven't changed the nntp part of the .gnus config file for
ages.

But after trying Pan and K-Node I did eventually get a message indicating that a
LI/PW  pair were needed.

Doing a ping on nntp indicates that the real server is
``news.isp.giganews.com''

Going to the giganews site seems to indicate that they want money for a feed.

Searching the Rogers site for a hint produced nothing.

Has the newsfeed gone the same way my websites have? Like you get shuffled to
some Yahoo site that graciously lets you use http to upload when attempting to
set up secondary subscriber websites now.

Does anyone know what the score is with Rogers please?

--
Slackrat