xargs / FS-maintenance question

Scott Elcomb Scott.Elcomb-iRg7kjdsKiH3fQ9qLvQP4Q at public.gmane.org
Fri Oct 1 21:45:32 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-10-01 at 17:27, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 01, 2004 at 04:14:28PM -0400, Fraser Campbell wrote:
> > On Friday 01 October 2004 15:30, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> [...]
> echo is a good thing, lets you see if the result looks sane before
> really doing it.

At the risk of facing "the wrath of the community" [ :) ] echo is one of
my absolute favorite shell cmds - a lesson learned in Windows/DOS.

As per the "Basics of the UNIX Philosophy - Seventeen Steps to
Happiness" (as described in by LinuxFormat), the echo command provides a
solution to a couple of "the rules" :

- Rule of Clarity - Clarity is better than cleverness.

- Rule of Simplicity - Design for simplicity; add complexity only where
necessary.

- Rule of Robustness - Robustness is the the child of Transparency &
Simplicity.

- Rule of Silence - When a program has nothing surprising to say, it
should say nothing.

- Rule of Economy - Programmer time is expensive; conserve it in
preference to machine time.

There are some others, but I'm fairly certain that covers the basics. :)

--
PGP Public Key:
1024D/98125E76 2004-03-21 Scott Elcomb (dL33T) <Scott.Elcomb-iRg7kjdsKiH3fQ9qLvQP4Q at public.gmane.org>