xargs / FS-maintenance question

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Fri Oct 1 19:30:59 UTC 2004

On Fri, Oct 01, 2004 at 02:15:33PM -0400, Scott Elcomb wrote:
> On Fri, 2004-10-01 at 20:58, Peter L. Peres wrote:
> > First, would this help:
> >
> > du -s *|sort -rn|less
> >
> > (replace asterisk with / if you dare, then run the command again with
> > /here, then /here/there etc)
> >
> > Second:
> >
> > ls | xargs -n1 echo -e "Another file: "
>
> Nice.  I like both of these command strings.  <g>
>
> Turns out that .wav's were my problem.  Forgot they were even there.

Just be aware the example fails badly on filenames with spaces.  For
that you should use find's -print0 option along with xarg's -0 option.
Null seperated filenames rahter than whitespace seperated.

Now for those filenames that have null's in the name, well you will just
have to deal with those yourself. :)

Lennart Sorensen